Sunday, May 19, 2013

Rhubarb-Strawberry Crisp

When it's the middle of May around here, you can count on rhubarb. We've divided the plants over the years, and we now have five that produce great quantities of the stuff! The first recipe of this season comes from the book my friend Les gave me, The Joy of Rhubarb by Theresa Millang. It is really called Rhubarb Crisp, but I've renamed it Rhubarb-Strawberry Crisp because I substituted one cup of (frozen) strawberries for one of the cups of rhubarb. I think rhubarb's best self comes through when it is accompanied by some strawberries.

Rhubarb - Strawberry Crisp


I did not use "individual baking dishes." I used an 8x8 pan. And I used Sugar in the Raw instead of brown sugar, as I always do. I used whole wheat pastry flour, and my "oatmeal" was rolled oats.
Tom and I both thought this was delicious. Hooray for rhubarb season!



10 comments:

  1. My father loved rhubarb, any way, any time. I have to have the strawberries mixed in for my taste. I've never grown or cooked with it myself though. I'll have to visit the farmers market here and see if there's any for sale there. It does seem like a must-have spring dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you check out the 'fruit desserts' under the recipes tab, you'll see that I love rhubarb too!!!

      Delete
  2. I think that my husband will thank you for this!! He's recently discovered rhubarb and loves loves loves strawberry rhubarb pie. I personally love a crisp so this will be the perfect pairing for the two of us. Your header is gorgeous Nan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that - 'recently discovered rhubarb'. Isn't life wonderful! There are lots more recipes here on the blog, if you are interested. As I wrote to Dewena, you can click the recipes tab and then fruit desserts. I'm quite wild for the stuff. :<)

      Delete
  3. My Mum keeps making rhubarb cakes in all shapes and sizes with the rhubarb from my parents' allotment. There isn't one I don't like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just how I feel, and why there are so many rhubarb recipes here on the blog. :<)

      Delete
  4. Unlike Trish's husband, mine does not care for rhubarb AT ALL! I happen to love it and always order strawberry-rhubarb pie whenever I get the chance. I'm so glad to know that this cookbook has provided you with a good recipe. One never knows! :) I've got the recipe pinned and will make it when Shay is visiting. She and I can enjoy it. Rod can have ice cream. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't picked any more this season, and now it is flowering. Funny, funny spring around here. I've posted a few other recipes from the book here. If you go to recipes, and then fruit desserts, and click on the rhubarb ones, you're bound to find a couple.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.