Monday, October 22, 2012

Muffin Monday - Biscuit Muffins


If you look over on the sidebar under 'Letter Topics,' you'll see one called Muffin Monday. Before today, there were only 11 postings, and the latest one was almost two years ago! I've decided to bring it back, and will post a different muffin recipe as often as I can on Mondays.

Today I thought I'd make a recipe which I got it from a Yahoo baking list eleven years ago.


Biscuit Muffins

2 cups  flour  
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (one stick) cold butter 
1 egg - slightly beaten  
3/4 cup  milk - I used buttermilk and because the buttermilk was so thick, I added a little regular milk to increase the moisture


In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or a fork or two knives.
Combine egg and milk; stir to mix.
Add to the flour mixture and mix just until flour is moistened.
Spoon into a muffin tin, greased with cooking spray; filling about two-thirds full.
Bake at 400º F for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and tester inserted in center comes out clean.

My note on the recipe from October 28, 2002:
Delicious!  They really do taste like biscuits, without the time of rolling out, and cutting.
I can't believe I haven't made them for ten years. They are great! Tom and I each ate four for supper along with Chickpea and Bulgur Stew.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Then these are a great alternative! You might eat them all in a couple sittings. :<)

      Delete
  2. Oo, I was just wanting something to go with my afternoon tea. Thanks, I'm gonna pop a batch in the oven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had any luck with homemade biscuits, so I'm going to give these muffins a try.

    I'm also curious about where the recipe originated...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are really delicious. There are also a few biscuit recipes that always have worked for me under the Recipes tab, then Biscuits, etc.
      It was the old Bakery Shoppe list.

      Delete
  4. These look sooo delicious! The Chickpea and Bulgur Stew sounds like something I'd not have any leftovers from ;-)
    Love your current header picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stew and muffins supper is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. What a good idea to post muffin recipes, these look good. I love your header picture - it's just right for autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound nice. I've never had much success with muffins - they never seem to rise properly, and the texture is never right. I'm fine with traditional British cakes and biscuits though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under the recipes tab, there are a couple regular biscuit recipes which always work out for me. Perhaps you would like to try them and see if you have success with any of them.

      Delete
  7. Nan, bisquits are one of the things I love most in the world of food, but never developed my mom's talent for making them. This is a recipe I could do and I am going to try it next week, as soon as I get home from Washington DC. The photo made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, butter melting into something hot is pretty appealing. :<))

      Delete
  8. These look delicious! I love biscuits, especially when there's gravy nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nan, those biscuit muffins looks yummy!!! I love your header!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These biscuit muffins are terrific! In one short month---since I read the recipe on your blog---they've become a family favorite. Just had one for my lunch, along with some cold chicken and an apple. Utterly delicious! Thanks for sharing, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for coming back to tell me. I am thrilled you like them!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.