Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fudge Squares


I haven't contributed to Weekend Cooking since the new year began. I haven't been on the computer too much on Saturdays and Sundays, and I haven't been making anything new-to-the-blog. It's been a few weeks of old favorites which I've already posted. But here is a new one which will warm any chocolate-loving hearts. They are very easy to make, and are a most delicious treat. We shared them with our dear neighbors down the road (see The Making of a Home under Letter Topics) who raved about them.

Fudge Squares

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

1 cup coconut
1/2 of a 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk


Melt butter, add sugar, flour, cocoa, vanilla, and unbeaten egg. (I beat the egg a bit before adding)
Stir vigorously until smooth.
Spread the mixture into a greased 8 x8 or 7 x 11 pan.
Cover with a second layer made by mixing the coconut with the sweetened
condensed milk.


Bake at 350º F. for 30 minutes.


Cool slightly and frost.


Frosting

1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
Confectioners sugar

Melt butter. Add milk when butter is almost melted. Take off stove, and
add cocoa, and vanilla, and enough sugar to produce a spreadable
consistency. Beat well.
Frost the squares while they are still warm.
Cool, and cut.

36 comments:

  1. Hmmmm! These look good and all my favorite ingredients. I'll be trying these, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom already wants me to make them again. :<) They lasted a little over a day!

      Delete
  2. OMG. These were sooooo worth the wait for your return to Weekend Cooking. I think these would work for people who have to watch their gluten intake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nan they look gorgeous! Will try them. What lucky neighbors you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to that Letter Topic I mentioned, you'll see they are my daughter and her fella! The best of all neighbors!

      Delete
  4. Oh. My. Goodness. THIS is the thing good neighbors are made of ;). Seriously, they look fantastic...and I'm pretty sure I'll have to make a batch soon or I won't be able to stop thinking about them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They reciprocate too! On St. Valentine's Day, our daughter gave us homemade truffles!
      You will love the fudge squares, I'm sure!

      Delete
  5. Chocolate and coconut is one of my favorite combinations. I'm bookmarking this recipe - thanks, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Methinks you'll want to make the recipe sooner, than later. Boy, these little squares are good!

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh ... these looked decadent! Can't wait to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - those look really good (also sinful and very very naughty). I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful! The coconut adds that extra "thing" for me; I am a firm coconut lover, and find the combination of chocolate and coconut completely irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make a batch and bring them over to your folks!

      Delete
    2. I could indeed, but then I'd have to leave out the coconut - not all of my family is into that.

      Delete
    3. Then just make 'em all for you! :<)

      Delete
  9. Chocolate fudge is my favourite, this will definitely be tried when I am over my gallbladder op and can eat normally again :-)
    I love your header pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't exactly fudge but it is excellent! I bet you will be so happy when this is over.
      Raya says thank you. :<)

      Delete
  10. There are so many things that I love about this that I don't even know where to begin. But coconut! Oh goodness I'm in trouble. Thanks for sharing the recipe--this looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just the ticket to make while the little one is sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds delicious. I bet my family would devour them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make them, and have a minute, come back and tell me how they worked out. I think you'll love them.

      Delete
  13. Just wanted to thank you for jettisoning the really annoyingly difficult word test. It's nice of you to be willing to dump the spam rather than to make readers like me squint.

    And that last chocolate photo is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I haven't had a bit of spam since I did it either.
      The fudge squares are wonderful!

      Delete
  14. Hi Nan,
    Just stopping back to tell you I made these fudge squares for a dinner at my sister's last night. They were a HUGE hit and I have a new favorite dessert! Thanks again for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming to tell me. I am so very pleased!!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.