Friday, January 13, 2012

The Dewey Decimal Challenge 2012

Because of my great love for nonfiction, and my hope to read more, I'm joining this year's Dewey Decimal Challenge. I enjoyed last year's and read four books for it.

Here are the details:


The Challenge: Read any non-fiction book(s), adult or young adult. That's it. You can choose anything. Poetry? Yes. Memoirs? Yes. History? Yes. Travel? Yes. You get the idea? Absolutely anything that is classified as non-fiction counts for this challenge.

I always like levels in my challenges, so here are mine:

Dilettante--Read 1-5 non-fiction books

Explorer--Read 6-10

Seeker--Read 11-15

Master--Read 16-20

This challenge will last from January 1 to December 31, 2012. You can sign up anytime throughout the year.

I am not limiting the challenge to bloggers. You can also link to a review you wrote on another site, such as GoodReads or LibraryThing.

I am going to be bold and sign up for the Seeker level. You wouldn't believe how many nonfiction books I own. As much as I enjoy good fiction stories, what I really love are true stories, and there are enough on my shelves to last for many years!

You may sign up here.

Books read:
The Circus Fire by Stewart O'Nan - finished January 19.
Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure by Matthew Algeo - finished January 24.
Notes to my mother-in-law by Phyllida Law - finished April 28.
Lunch in Paris by Elizabeth Bard - finished May 1.
Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools by Victoria Twead - finished May 7.
Midnight in Peking by Paul French - finished June 1

Didn't complete the Seeker level. Should have signed on as Explorer!

13 comments:

  1. Hey Nan!
    You know I love non-fiction!
    I just wrote about Louie Zamperini on my blog.
    Oh, and guess what, I was able to put a header photo on my blog! You'd never believe it, but I can't remember how I did it! Am I funny or what! (I am serious you know, I can't remember, but I still have to laugh at myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, I'm so tempted by this but I've already signed up for as many challenges as I think I can cope with this year. Look forward to seeing what you read though, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fun challenge. Sometimes when I'm reshelving books I will come across a nonfiction book that looks interesting and then the next thing I know I'm sitting there reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's a challenge that looks challenging. I'm looking forward to seeing all the books you are going discover. (Should include food books.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never participated in any reading challenge, but I like knowing about them through your blog.
    Usually, I read on average one non-fiction book to maybe two fiction books, sometimes more, sometimes less. At the moment, after the non-fiction one about Russia, I am reading a fiction one again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I directed Tom to that entry, Kay. He really enjoyed it. He has the book but hasn't read it yet.
    I think that happens a lot with internet stuff. Sometimes we hit upon something but have no idea how it happened.

    Cath, I know what you mean! I just knew I wanted to read more of my beloved nonfiction and thought this would be a fun way to do it.

    Staci, when I volunteered at the library, that's the work I did, and I would come home with piles of books!

    Margot, I don't think I'm going to include my food books. I think those will be just for your challenge. :<)

    Librarian, I only do them for fun! I don't challenge myself. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I'm off to a good start. It's only Jan. 14th and i've already read two nonfiction books, plus parts of several fiction ones.

    I probably won't sign up for the challenge though. I have an aversion to people not believing I've actually read all those books which goes back to the "Read Ten Books Over the Summer" certificate I earned when I was 12 -- the librarian refused to believe I'd read that many books in a couple of weeks, and put me through the 3rd degree before she'd let me have a certificate.

    The humiliation was right up there with the one-time boyfriend who edited my letter for spelling, grammar, and syntax before returning it to me!

    So now I just read for my own pleasure, with no pressure...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Canadian Chickadee, it isn't pressure for me, believe me! I don't 'challenge' myself - I read what I want. Just thought it would be fun to do this, as I did last year.
    Those two events you noted are awful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to have you back for the challenge! I look forward to reading your review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nan,

    This is a great challenge, and one I've been doing for several years on LibraryThing. My challenge is to read at least one from every Dewey Classification up to but NOT including the 10ths. For example, 100, 101, 102, etc so there are 902 books in all (there are currently 90+ categories not assigned). I haven't updated my list lately, but by mid 2011, I'd managed to complete 92 - about 10%. You've inspired me to go back over reading I did last year to update my list.

    My problem is that I keep reading the same numbers because those are the ones I'm most interested in. I'm not going to join your challenge per se, but I'm going to be keeping track of what people are reading here and chiming in as the year goes along. Good luck to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Jen for offering it!

    Tina, you never cease to amaze me! There are a few of them I'd never want to read, I think. :<)
    If you go to the main page, you'll see what others are reading throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Re: the awful events
    Yes, they were awful -- but you know what they say: that which doesn't kill us make us stronger!! LOL

    Enjoy your reading challenge.

    Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm. Another challenge to ponder. I love nonfiction, but never seem drawn to it when picking out the next book to read. Perhaps this will inspire me to read more nonfiction from my stacks.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.