Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Eight years ago today!

 I can't believe it was eight years ago today that we got our Lucy. There is a post here

She is the kindest dog I've ever known. She doesn't know what anger is. I think this is a Labrador trait. She loves everyone, especially Matthew, our son-in-law. She goes wild when he comes. I have always thought he may remind her of the man where she lived before we got her. She was sort-of a rescue dog because the couple had brought her back to the breeder. That is a trait of the good breeder. They will take a dog back, with no questions. 

Lucy was nearing nine months old when we got her. She had a lot of anxiety from the unhappy family situation she came from. Apparently, they both worked all the time, and Lucy was in a cage during those hours. I think I am remembering it right that the woman said it was her or the dog! I probably would have chosen the dog!

She needed a lot of exercise, and we finally came upon using Matt and Margaret's wheeler to go up the hill with Lucy running next to it. That did it! She became much calmer. 

She adores cats and they love her. I'm pretty sure my Gemma and Maisy think that she is just another person. They'll go up to her and nuzzle if they are hungry. They snuggle up on Lucy's bed.

You may remember that on my birthday two years ago we found out that Lucy had diabetes. I wrote about it here. After weeks of working out the proper dose of insulin, we have settled into a routine where Tom gives her a shot twice a day, and she has been just fine. I am so thankful. I was sure we were going to lose her early on.

I just took this. Her favorite activity. You "may" see some hair on the rug. Serious shedding season for Lucy!

13 comments:

  1. Dogs are the best, and Labradors the best of the best (but I'll admit I'm biased!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finding such a great dog. You are all very luck to have found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to go back and read both posts, had forgotten about Lucy having diabetes. It's very encouraging, Nan, to hear how well she's done on insulin. And the story of her coming to you is so sweet, as are her pictures, what a beautiful Lab! I'm sure you're right about kindness being one of their traits as I remember that our daughter's Lab was also so kind.
    Please give Lucy a hug from me for her 8 years with your loving family,
    Dewena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read the posts. It is so encouraging. And I will give her a hug!

      Delete
  4. Lucy is so sweet. Sounds like you are all lucky to have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you figured out a good routine to deal with her diabetes. Lucy sounds like a wonderful part of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were a wreck, but the vet was so good, saying it always takes a while to find just the right amount.

      Delete
  6. I am glad Lucy found a good family and I admire your husband for doing the insulin shots and Lucy for accepting them!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.