Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 Book Facts - the rest of the list

 I read 10 fiction books this year.

The first I read was The Swiss Summer which I wrote a bit about here. I am currently reading a second book by Stella Gibbons, and am just as happy with it. Thanks again to the Dean Street Press for publishing these wonderful works by women whom most of us have not heard of. I also read three by Molly Clavering. You may read about her here.

I read three works of Japanese literature that I thought so original, so different from anything I have read before. 

I thought The Bishop's Wife by Robert Nathan to be quite odd, not anywhere near as good as the movie!

I wrote about the Boy... by Charlie Mackesy here. Not impressed.

The other fiction was the prequel James Runcie wrote - the prequel to the Grantchester mysteries, called The Road To Grantchester. It was excellent.

Only 3 non-fiction but all of them were utter gems! The Splendid and The Vile, Citizens of London, and A Child's Christmas in Wales. 

8 children's books. Most were so-so but Cynthia Rylant's The Old Woman Who Named Things and The Railway Children by Edith Nesbitt were wonderful.

1 mystery thriller still scares me to think of it.

1 book of poetry - A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman. I was sure I would love it, but I didn't. I loved some lines but was not interested in much of it. 

I'll save the stats for another post.

4 comments:

  1. The Road to Grantchester is now on my list. Also I want a Child's Christmas in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Road... is not so cheerful, but it does show the reader who Sidney Chambers was before. The rest in the series are mysteries within a lovely story.
      I know you will love A Child's ...

      Delete
  2. I always enjoy your end of year book stats and reports. I vow every year to keep track. Have yet to follow through any year. I get a bit closer every year tho. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really enjoyed looking at your year of reading, with so many good books. But I agree, I didn't like A Shropshire Lad either. I loved seeing Robert Nathan on my list. He is one of my ver favorite authors. Have you read A Portrait of Jenny by him? Since my dad was born in Wales, A Child's Christmas in Wales was a big part of the holidays growing up. I also enjoy the Maisie Dobbs series and can't wait to read her next adventure. I wish you and your family a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.