Saturday, June 29, 2019

"It started out with a kiss"

You probably know the song, Mr Brightside by The Killers. Really one of the truly great songs in music, I think! This year the band was at Glastonbury and how I wish I had been there, too. Here is a video of the performance.



You may remember Cameron Diaz rocking out to it in the film, The Holiday.



And here is a wonderful, amazing video of a man in Ireland, drunk as a skunk, giving tribute to a late friend at the wake in a pub.



The lyrics:

"Mr Brightside"

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, let me go

And I just can't look - it's killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Turning through sick lullabies [acoustic version of the song says: "Swimming through sick lullabies"]
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr Brightside

I'm coming out of my cage
And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down
Because I want it all
It started out with a kiss
How did it end up like this?
It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss
Now I'm falling asleep
And she's calling a cab
While he's having a smoke
And she's taking a drag
Now they're going to bed
And my stomach is sick
And it's all in my head
But she's touching his chest
Now, he takes off her dress
Now, let me go

'Cause I just can't look - it's killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Turning through sick lullabies [acoustic version of the song says: "Swimming through sick lullabies"]
Choking on your alibis
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I'm Mr Brightside

I never...
I never...
I never...
I never...

5 comments:

  1. That's a cute Cameron Diaz sequence. Kind of reminds me of My Best Friend's Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another blogging friend of mine also wrote about The Killers. His blog and yours are the first places I have ever heard (or read) about this band - I am so NOT up to date when it comes to current music! This was very different when I was young; knowing the current bands and their songs mattered a lot to me then. Funny how our priorities and interests can change in the course of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did that friend go to Glastonbury?? They aren't a new band. Have been around for about 15 years, but that song never goes out of date! Actually, a lot of their work is great. Music is big in my life. Some new, some not. I couldn't live without it.

      Delete
  3. And this is why you are the coolest on the internet!

    Not many people post about Joan Baez *and* The Killers. I'm also a fan of The Killers, as are my teenage daughters. My nephew saw them a year ago, and then got a tattoo to commemorate, he loved their concert so much.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.