Friday, April 12, 2019

Happy birthday to Gladys!

Gladys Taber was born on April 12, 1899. She is such a part of my Letters from a Hill Farm, and if you go to the Gladys Taber label under "letter topics" (on the sidebar on the R - scroll down past "places I love to visit"), you'll find a lot about her. But not many photos. I've just recently joined Pinterest, and I've found a few I hadn't seen. I wish there were more. She was well-known in her day, and beloved then and now.

In front of that fireplace she writes about so often.



Gladys with her family on a Christmas Eve.



My grammies used to look much like this. You may see them here.

Such a kind face.



This is the earliest photo I've come across.

13 comments:

  1. Happy 120th Birthday, Gladys!
    I know I mentioned once before that my grandmother, a BU grad of 1909 who married a farmer, was a big fan of Taber. I have just one of the books she collected, which was the only one my mother saved. Its title is something to the effect of: Christmas Through the Years. I may have that totally wrong, but it is a book of Christmas on a Farm and customs and especially recollections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to know more about it if you come across it! I did some searching and can't find one with Christmas in the title. Hey, and I graduated from BU, too! A few years later. haha

      Delete
  2. I love all Gladys Taber books and have managed to collect most of them. I hadn't seen all of the pictures you posted. Enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so pleased! And thank you for telling me.

      Delete
  3. People can seem so much more real when we see pictures of them, I think. This is even though Gladys made herself so very real through her writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I just wish there were more.

      Delete
  4. Love Gladys Taber and thank you so much for these photos! I dearly love to see how people I so admire look in their own environment, so to speak. My nosy streak, perhaps we'll just call it an inquiring mind. (Smile).
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is lovely. Thank you for introducing her to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS with apologies. Where do I find Letter topics?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Gladys Tabor, but realize that I don't own any of her works. I used to borrow them periodically from the library, but have moved since then and I haven't taken the time to explore whether this library has them. I need to do so or make some purchases, because it has been too long! Thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.