Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Today's poem - A Traditional Scottish Toast

May the best ye've ever seen
Be the worst ye'll ever see
May a moose ne'er leave yer girnal
Wi' a tear drap in his e'e
May ye aye keep hale an' he'rty
Till ye're auld eneuch tae dee
May ye aye be jist as happy
As we wish ye aye tae be

Here "hale and hearty" means strong and healthy.
A "girnal” -  a storage chest for meal (oats and the like) placed in the kitchen.
 
In "plain" English:

May the best you have ever seen
Be the worst you will ever see
May a mouse never leave your girnal
With a tear drop in his eye
May you always keep hale and hearty
Till you are old enough to die
May you always be just as happy
As we wish you always to be

found here.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Nan, Mr Mac is a Scot, so no need of the translation in this house, but I hope others will like the translation. Old toasts full of wishes are lovely, aren't they? I love the Irish ..... "may the road rise to meet you....."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite Irish blessing is on the sidebar!

      Delete
  2. I've been browsing your recent posts, Nan. I shall pop back and browse some more. I've never been a fan of WHA but The Night Mail is a real classic and its tempo really lent itself to the rendition in the 1936 documentary film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did! Perfect. And thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. And I had forgotten 'til this morning - "Lang may your lum reek"..... in English - "Long May your chimney smoke", which is a lovely short one and I always take it as a wish that you may live long, and have enough money to put fuel on your fire.

      Delete
  4. Very nice - though I can't handle mice. At all. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll email you a pic of what a mouse did the other night at our house!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.