Monday, May 2, 2016

Today's poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley

Love’s Philosophy

The fountains mingle with the river
And the rivers with the ocean,
The winds of Heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single,
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle - 
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss high Heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother;
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea - 
What are all these kissings worth
If thou kiss not me?

Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822) 

5 comments:

  1. Love it, thanks! And, another poem from one of the best Inspector Lewis programs!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just watched my favorite of all the episodes for maybe the 5th time?, and decided to post the wonderful, wonderful poem. I love that character, Philip Horton. I'm delighted that you recognized it from the show!!!

      Delete
    2. Do you know the Morse, Lewis, Endeavour blog? If not, you will love it. https://morseandlewisandendeavour.wordpress.com/

      Delete
    3. Oh thanks! This is new to me, I will bookmark it to my favorites.
      And yes, I loved the character Philip Horton too - and the sensitive way Hathaway dealt with him. My favorite episode out of many.
      Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nan, I figured out that because of the settings for cookies on my Safari web browser, previous comments I left here didn't go through under my blogger account (HKatz) and might have not gotten published at all. I just figured this out today :( But now hopefully this comment will.

    Something about this poem amused me - the hint of petulance in Shelley's tone. Demanding to know why his love hasn't already started mingling with him the way other things mingle in nature. The language is beautiful, but I also pictured him stamping his foot in impatience :)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.