Friday, October 10, 2014

Today's Song and Pictures - October Light

One of my favorite songs is October Light by Robin and Linda Williams. There isn't a video of them singing it so I'm going to share the words, along with some photos of my own October light. There really is nothing like it. This evening there was a gentle rain falling as I took the pictures, and soon a rainbow appeared.




Each day we walk upon the hill
to watch the setting sun 
play on the trees and fields until
it falls and day is done.

Yellow, orange, blue, and rose  
The colors neon bright.
The evening sky is all aglow
with this October light.

We sit together in the swing
Our faces to the west
and talk of what tomorrow will bring
and what today has left.

We trace the dimming day
as dusk breaks to night
So we don’t miss a single ray
of this October light.

Oh, the long, dark shadows eulogize
the sun fleeing southward in the sky
‘cause there ain’t no saving daylight
when the tenth month comes around.
September memories take flight
as heaven’s lamp turns down.
So we feast on eventide
‘cause November’s chilling bite 
is waiting on the other side
of this October light.

The evening sky is all aglow
with this October light.
We don’t want to miss a single ray
of this October light.

October Light
Robin and Linda Williams
from the album Deeper Waters


26 comments:

  1. It really is beautiful light Nan. Wonderful pictures, perfect words. I remember hearing Robin and LInda on Prairie Home Companion and I wonder why I never listen to that program any more. Must investigate. The light has been lovely here in Oregon this month . But the Fall color isn't quite here yet -- it has been warm so the leaves haven't turned. I hope they do before it rains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know - I don't like it anymore. I saw him a few years ago, and did not care for him at all.

      Delete
  2. I love everything about this post! Picture Perfect. Thanks for sharing, Nan!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO SO happy to see your name! Very pleased you stopped by. Miss you!

      Delete
  3. You live in a beautiful place. New England? I used to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truly wonderful light! So clear,sharp yet mellow. Thanks for the beauty.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Nan - you've pulled me in with your stunning photos, the amber light, and this song, and now I have sweet, sweet tears in my eyes. We don't often see a complete arc of a rainbow here, but, when we do, it is absolutely breathtaking. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looked at this post on my phone while having my hair cut, but waited to post my comment after I had another chance to look at them on my computer monitor. These are such awesome pictures! I love the golden light of fall and that last picture with the barn and tractor looks like it could be a painting. Gorgeous country you live in, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is gorgeous. I couldn't live anywhere else. It's in my soul.

      Delete
  7. Over the years I've seen much of the U.S. in all seasons. Nothing compares with a New England autumn. Vermont, having been my birthplace and home for many years, sets a high standard of natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are nearly too beautiful for words, Nan! And the song lyrics match the pictures so well.
    Although I am very much a summer person, October has always had a special place in my heart, with its cosiness and homely feeling and the hint of winter (and Christmas).

    ReplyDelete
  9. These colors are magnificent. The dark sky and the brilliant golden leaves. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos and great song by Robin and Linda. Thanks for sharing both.
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I have been going through 300 some blog posts I haven't seen over the past month, I was staring out the window looking at a branch that looks all inky black with yellowing leaves. Wanting to point it out to someone. Then I come across this post and the very first picture reminds me of what I see out the window. Lovely coincidence and also interesting to note that or fall in DC seems to be about 22 days behind yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me smile. Thanks for taking the time to tell me!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.