Thursday, April 10, 2014

Weeds Find a Way by Cindy Jenson-Elliott

Weeds Find a Way
Words by Cindy Jenson-Elliott
Pictures by Carolyn Fisher
children's book 2014
finished 4/10/14






This is the fourth children's book I've been sent by Blue Slip Media. 




The others were Arbor Day Square, Planting the Wild Garden, and Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers. I loved each one, as I do Weeds Find a Way. What the books have in common is teaching little ones about the natural world. Their website is here and their Facebook page here





The book begins


and goes on to explain how the weed seeds travel.



This is a subject that even we adults may not think about too often. We may gripe about weeds, without realizing how they spread. Perhaps reading this book to the children in our lives will give us a new appreciation for these quite wonderful plants. There is a lot of press now about how crucial milk weed is to the life-cycle of the monarch butterfly, and who knows what important part other weeds might play in the world. 

If conditions for growth aren't ideal, weeds will wait.



And after their waiting period is over, the book tells about the many unexpected places a weed might settle in to grow.


At the end, there are two pages telling the reader about many weeds, with such fun names as teasel and cheeseweed. 


This book is a gem, for children and for the adults who read to them. I learned a lot. It's a book to carry outdoors, while going on a search for weeds. It is wonderful for country children and city children alike, because weeds do grow everywhere. 

Today while Hazel Nina was asleep in my lap, Margaret read the book aloud. It was a delightful experience. We'll read it to her over and over as she gets bigger, and to her soon-to-be-born cousin, Campbell Walker. I'm sure they will both love it. I didn't think to have Tom take a picture of the reading, but here is the darling girl just afterwards, all set to go home.

26 comments:

  1. t's a lovely book; thank you for sharing. You are creating such wonderful memories for Hazel Nina (and yes, I firmly believe that somewhere in her subconscious she will remember this reading and of course future ones more consciously each year)..... and also what a lovely library you are making for her already. She is a beautiful child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. And it is SO MUCH FUN being with her. I'd forgotten how goofy I could be. Babies love everything you say and do.

      Delete
  2. Little Hazel is getting so big already. My daughter is a week overdue:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So now it is six days later. I'll head to your blog and see if the baby has come yet. Campbell Walker's arrival date was today. Nope. I'm thinking the 20th for him. We'll see.

      Delete
  3. She looks quite fashionable in her lovely coat and colorful, charming hat. Just the beginning of wonderful times.

    Joan in NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming by and leaving me a note!! Yeah, she's pretty stylin' these days. My heart feels like it could burst with all the love I'm feeling.

      Delete
  4. What a great book! If it was available in German, I think my Mum's group of kindergarten children would love to have it read to them.
    Reading to children from earliest childhood is the greatest gift for them. You give them your time and attention, and love for reading will grow in them and never leave them all their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could translate. You are brilliant in English and German!!

      Delete
  5. She is a beauty
    and oh that book
    I may buy it and read to myself :)
    All of my children and grandchildren
    are avid readers..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think children's picture books are just wonderful. You won't regret buying a copy!

      Delete
  6. Such happiness in this post, Nan! I love that you get to share these special moments with Hazel Nina and Margaret. What a sweet baby. Love her coat and hat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A young woman we've known since she was born, who turned 24 the same day Michael turned 29, made it for Hazel Nina. I love the colors.

      Delete
  7. Little doll!! And what a lovely book! Sweet illustrations. I"ll keep that in mind for Josie and Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. It seems like just the book for your grandchildren!

      Delete
  8. "What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

    What a beautiful book! I might have to put it on my kids' Christmas list later this year. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved your review of Weeds Find a Way so much that I ordered it to use in my classroom. Thank you for sharing it!
    Sue Sirgany
    Michigan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am SO pleased to read this. Thanks so much for coming by to tell me. It is really a good classroom book.

      Delete
  10. Nan, I would love that book!
    And I have seen crochet patterns for that owl cap that Hazel Nina is wearing, this makes me want to give it a go! Hazel Nina makes a very good model!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was knitted but what do I know about crochet and knitting?! :<))) It is just THE best hat.
      And yes, you would love the book.

      Delete
  11. Gosh but she is gorgeous! What a cute hat, too. I am going to look for that book, nice twist on the usual flowers grow variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is. And yeah, you are right about the book. I actually learned a lot from it.

      Delete
  12. Just ordered this to send to my two granddaughters (4 and 6yrs old) whose Mom is a professor of ecology in Maryland. She specializes in invasive species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am SO happy to hear this. Thanks for telling me.

      Delete
  13. Thanks so much for your wonderful review of Weeds Find a Way! As a garden teacher, I wrote it so that I could use it with my elementary students, and hope that it spreads the seeds of nature-love into children's hearts everywhere -- including in the heart of your lovely baby!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! It is a wonderful book. We'll be reading it to her more and more as she gets older!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.