Friday, July 7, 2023

Birds

 


That bush to the right of the chairs is a honeysuckle, and we have seen birds flying out of it and back to it. Not sure what they were, but this is a banner year for nesting birds here at Windy Poplars Farm. The voices we recognize are catbirds, phoebes, wrens, swallows, robins, and our beloved whippoorwill. Not only are they nesting here, but they are closer to the house and more visible. Out tiny bushes and trees have gotten taller and really filled out, making them appealing to the birds. You can see in this yard rosa rugosas, lilacs, another honeysuckle, and out of the picture on the left are more lilacs. It is a little heaven. 

And then across the road are many more. Hazelnuts planted when Hazel was born, lilacs, Korean lilacs in honor of our Korean born kids, forsythia, ornamental apple, a small plum, 2 locusts which have popped up, and our remaining maple. All happily welcoming birds to nest or just stop for a while. 

Not sure why the photos are blurry. 



8 comments:

  1. We are hearing the cat bird every evening here lately. My husband has hearing aides now and he can hear the birds. Apparently he hadn't been before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that sound. It has been perching on the terrace railing a lot so I have seen it closeup out the window.
      Thank you for the hearing aides info. I will pass along to my husband.

      Delete
  2. Birds and their songs are such a wonderful things - I love to listen, too.
    Mary in PA, maybe before as littlemancat...have had some trouble with comments. Anyway, a longtime reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always know just who it is when you write!!! But thanks for letting me know. And I probably told you ages ago, but we had a cat named Little Man!

      Delete
  3. I envy you the birds that you have living around you. And the photos are lovely. I clicked on the photos to enlarge them and they looked sharp to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me. They are clear in my iphotos, too, but for some reason they weren't on the blog.

      Delete
  4. I love mature plantings and so obviously do the birds -- good for you! Wonderful that you planted hazelnut trees in honor of your darling granddaughter and before that the Korean Lilacs for your kids. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! We also have two Walker's Low - a nepata in honor of a grandson, and two Indy daylilies in honor of another grandson!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.