Sunday, January 15, 2017

Today's poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

The Library in the Garret
by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Books, books, books!
I had found the secret of a garret-room
Piled high with cases in my father's name;
Piled high, packed large, - where, creeping in and out
Among the giant fossils of my past,
Like some small nimble mouse between the ribs
Of a mastodon, I nibbled here and there
At this or that box, pulling through the gap,
In heats of terror, haste, victorious joy,
The first book first. And how I felt it beat
Under my pillow, in the morning's dark,
An hour before the sun would let me read!
My books! ...

The poem was in the introduction to this book, which I borrowed from my daughter.


There is a book for each of the 365 days. I think I'm going to really enjoy this. I've already peeked ahead and seen many books I've never read.

The year began with Zadie Smith's White Teeth.


From the introduction:
Think of this as a tasting menu. It is my dearest hope that each taste will send you scurrying to your bookseller or library so you can read (or reread) that book, cover to cover.

24 comments:

  1. :) I like Elizabeth even better now. And your Bibliophile Devotional sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I want this book. And next time I reach for my Kindle when I can't sleep (and read it without even turning on a light) ) I'll think of Elizabeth B waiting until first light to read the book under her pillow. And send thanks remembering that some things are right with today's world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tasting menu of books, I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is just an embarrassment of riches! I love the image of a book beating like a heart under one's pillow, and "White Teeth" has been on my reading list for several years now. Inspiring, both of them! Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't resist. I knew some people would really love both.

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant idea this book is! I must remember it, as it will make a perfect gift to some people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely poem, and what a brilliant idea for a book - it sounds lovely! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a super book! I know I would love it and am going to look for a copy. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful poem! The book reminds me of the Page-a-Day calendar for Book Lovers. I used to have a huge stack of pages with all the books I discovered and wanted to read. Now they're on my Want To Read list at Goodreads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still have some of those, too! I still keep a bowl with clippings. I also have a little book of want to reads.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful poem, which I will copy to my Commonplace Book. It reminds me of the time I discovered what was inside my mother's "hope chest". Books. My father's books. Collected works, and book-of-the-month books from the 40's/50's. I asks if I could read them, was told I could as long as I kept my hands clean and respected the books. The first one I read was "Jane Eyre". That devotional looks to be quite a fun adventure, Nan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story, Penny! I hope you have them all now!

      Delete
  10. Oh so tempting Nan! I will put it on my Amazon wish list pronto. I am re-taking Future Learn's free course, 'Literature and Mental Health' starting next Monday. I took the course last year and loved it, such treasures on the internet. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I knew that you did this. I'm way impressed. I'd love to hear more about it - you could email me.

      Delete
  11. P.S I bought it!!!! It was only 1p, too hard to resist. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're great, Nan. I want to hear your thoughts on "White Teeth." I haven't read it - but I'm a big fan of just about everything I've ever heard Z.S. say so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'll actually read it this year but I'm enjoying learning about lots of books.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.