Saturday, November 14, 2015

German's Sweet Chocolate Cake


Many years ago, Tom’s sister baked us what she called a German sweet chocolate cake. I had never tasted anything like it. When I was in the baking chocolate section of my local co-op the other day, I happened to see a package, and bought it.


I've never heard it referred to as German's, but clearly that's what the package says. I've seen it both ways on the internet. 

Last week I made the cake with Hazel Nina. So much fun! Before we even began she nibbled on the chocolate bar


and loved it!


She stirred the flour, baking soda, and salt together.


And then whisked the eggs. 


After we mixed everything together came the best part!


The cake was excellent! Both Tom and Matthew, Hazel's daddy, thought it was the best chocolate cake they had ever had.


I thought that the traditional coconut pecan frosting might be not be quite the thing for a toddler, so I made a regular confectioners' sugar frosting. 

And now for the recipe.

German's Sweet Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350º F.

Over very low heat, melt together:
1 pkg. (4 oz.) Baker's German's Sweet  Chocolate
3/4 cup butter
Let cool a little, and put in mixer. (you can do it with a hand mixer, or just stirring well)
Continue beating, and add:
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla.

In a separate bowl, mix together:
2 cups flour 
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Turn mixer down to low speed and add the dry mixture alternately with 1 cup of buttermilk.

Bake in 9x13 pan which has been greased with cooking spray for 25-30 minutes.

Easy to make and wonderful taste! Highly recommended.

You may visit Weekend Cooking to read more food related postings.

20 comments:

  1. Baking with little ones is so much fun! One of my good friend's son used to request a German Chocolate Cake for his birthday each year. It was an elaborate, difficult recipe that took two days to prepare...but it was worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see, the recipe is not a bit elaborate or difficult. The coconut pecan frosting is a bit more work than a conf. frosting, but the cake is very easy.

      Delete
  2. What a cute little kitchen helper you have! That cake looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. German Chocolate was always my favorite for my birthday! I could eat just a pan full of the coconut pecan frosting. Now all of my family birthdays come before mine within a 2 week period and I'm sick of cake by the time mine gets here!

    Such gorgeous photos to treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'll try and make the frosting that goes with it! I've never been sick of cake. :<)

      Delete
  4. I make a German Chocolate Cake every year for my dad's birthday and this looks like a delicious version! Plus it's simple too. I don't think I've ever had a German chocolate cake without the coconut/pecan icing but I bet a vanilla buttercream would be fantastic. It looks like your little helper had a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy. And the frosting was great with it.

      Delete
  5. It looks delicious, but I wonder why it is called "German". Pecan and Coconut are not very common ingredients at all in German cooking (or baking), but chocolate certainly is :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think German with the apostrophe s is the correct name. I bet it was just shortened. Like now everyone says ice tea not iced tea.

      Delete
  6. That looks so good, Nan, I might just have look for that chocolate and make one of these. And yes, the best part is licking the batter from the mixer and bowl - I still laugh when I think about my Kiddo's first time, and I can see that Hazel Nina likes it ever bit as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, do make it! You'll love it. And I still think batter is the best part of baking.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the recipe. I love that you have your granddaughter already baking with you! Looks like you both enjoyed it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little helper is just wonderful. She is safe. No wobbly chairs to slip off.

      Delete
  8. My mother's favorite cake is a German chocolate cake! How fun to bake with your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely series of photos! The light is beautiful, and oh, that granddaughter is precious! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. My hubby loves chocolate cake, so I'll have to try this recipe and see what he thinks. I'm all for "easy" recipes these days.

    You know, while we were in Germany, I never once had German Chocolate Cake! It was never served and I don't remember ever seeing it in any of the cafes or bakeries.

    BTW, I love that second photo of Hazel Nina (with the chocolate bar). The lighting is perfect and her smile is so sweet. What a joy it is to see how much fun you are having with this little girl. Life is good, isn't it?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is German. I think, and I really should look this up, the 'inventor' was named German. The recipe is really easy, and Rod will love it. That chocolate bar is the German chocolate. Not easy getting it away from her so I could melt it for the cake!!

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.