Sunday, May 17, 2015

Rhubarb Crumb Bars

It’s rhubarb season!! Although most people use a knife, I go out with my trusty little Fiskars garden shears and cut it. 


This recipe comes from one I found on Martha Stewart’s page

Rhubarb Crumb Bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8x8 or 9-inch round pan with cooking spray.

Streusel:
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour

Whisk together butter, sugar, and salt. Add flour and mix with a fork until large crumbs form. 

Cake:
Mix: 1/2 pound rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces 



with 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 cup flour.

In another bowl mix: 
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

In the electric mixer mix:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
turn down speed and add the flour mixture.

Spread batter in prepared pan


Sprinkle with rhubarb 


and top with streusel


Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 45 to 50 minutes. 



This was really great! You could substitute strawberries for some of the rhubarb, but this first time I wanted to try it with just rhubarb. You may top it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if you wish. I am amazed at how very many rhubarb recipes there are, and a fair few of them may be found under the 'recipes' tab! 

Lots more foodie subjects at Weekend Cooking.

15 comments:

  1. Shoot. Now I wish I had bought rhubarb this week. I let it go because I was hoping to get to find some next week when the farmers market opens for the season. I'm definitely bookmarking this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rhubarb dish looks yummy and I don't even like rhubarb! I had a grandmother who cooked it all the time in the summer, but she stewed it and we had to eat it. I found it unbelievably icky. And I've never gotten over that. However, as I said, yours looks much more tasty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't grow it in Hawaii, but guavas make a good substitute. Will have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love strawberry/rhubarb pie. This sounds like it would be just as good and much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our spring has been soo slow that my rhubarb is just barely peeking up out of the ground. Last year I was able to transplant a root to our new house on the closing date at our old house, April 29th! I actually thought it wasn't going to regrow, but as my husband says - you can't kill rhubarb!
    After watching ALL the Great British Bake Off shows this year, I can't wait to try a Rhubarb and Ginger Queen of the Puddings. I have a recipe for a rhubarb dressing to go on a spinach salad that I can't wait to try as well. Your rhubarb dessert is a new one to me - I may try it as well if enough rhubarb comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhubarb is great, and so versatile! One of my friends makes the best rhubarb cake ever (even better than my Mum's!). The other day, I have come across a rhubarb cocktail recipe which I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I've even ever eaten rhubarb!

    Happy cooking
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only discovered rhubarb a year or two ago and realized how badly I've been missing out. I tried a strawberry and rhubarb pie last year but it ended up a runny (albeit delicious) mess. This looks like a much neater recipe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhubarb season seems to have started here too! I just bought some lovely young sticks of it while I was out shopping, and was going to cook it with some orange zest and ginger, and eat it with yogurt (I'm supposed to be dieting for a Darling Daughter's wedding). But your recipe sounds much more appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your rhubarb growing in your garden looks so healthy! What gorgeous EARTH you have! (Looks like England to me.)
    I have never had rhubarb before, but if it has sugar on it with a streusel topping, I bet I would like it! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have got to be a big girl and try rhubarb! My daughter-in-law makes the pies with strawberries. I bet your bars are delicious, I like anything with a streusel topping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh this looks delicious! I haven't had rhubarb in ages. i remember as a kid just getting a stalk of rhubarb and a baggie of sugar for dipping!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! We have only eaten our rhubarb in a savory dish, a stir fry, so far this year. When the strawberries ripen, it will go in a dessert. Yours is lovely! Regarding scissors vs. knife... I just grab a stalk and pull, rather than cut.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.