Thursday, December 14, 2017

All the books of 2017 - part two

Part one is here


9. I haven't read any books with a 'magical' setting.

10. As with # 2, I don't keep track of pages, but probably Jacqueline Winspear's In This Grave Hour.

11. From the first minute I read about Magpie Murders, I knew I wanted to read it, and that I would love it. I bought it from The Book Depository in November 2016 and read it ten months later. That's a long wait for something I couldn't wait to read!

12. I didn't finish any series this year.

13. I definitely read more mysteries than any other genre. This year I've read a lot of old ones, which I love.

14. Don't know what my last read of the year will be.

15. Favorite reads, in no particular order, would be:
How Many Camels Are There in Holland? Dementia, ma, and me by Phyllida Law
Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz
Stir: My Broken Brain and the Meals That Brought Me Home by Jessica Fechtor
The Song of Hartgrove Hall by Natasha Solomons
The Perfect Summer by Juliet Nicolson
The House of Unexpected Sisters by Alexander McCall Smith
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

This has been a fun little activity. I hope to write a follow-up to my Half a Year's Reading post here, but we'll see how the time goes.

15 comments:

  1. Brrrr, your header photo looks cold and snowy. A good time to be reading a lot. I am enjoying your answers. I am never so organized with my reading to know what to answer. Maybe I can next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it cold and snowy! Or cold and sunny! If you go up under the blog header photo to book lists, you'll see that I don't do much work. When I finish a book, I jot down the date and info. That's it. I'm not that organized either. haha

      Delete
  2. I wish my eyes and head weren't so tired after work these days! By the time I am home, I just about manage to make myself a bowl of salad, and then slump down on the settee where I only get up to brush my teeth and go to bed... Next morning I look at the book on my bedside table (one I really enjoy, too) and think: Tonight... And by the time I come home... well, you get the idea :-)
    If it weren't for my train trips, I would not get much reading done these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty tired by nighttime, too. I mostly watch tv that time of day.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nan, I read more mysteries than anything else too. I just finished the first Louise Penny mystery yesterday, Still Life. I can't believe I never read that series. I think I want to read Magpie Murders now too.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved MM. And I know many people who love LP.

      Delete
  4. I loved Stir and I liked MM alot too. I will look at some of your other selections. They sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect she won't write anymore, but I still hope she will. I like her spirit.

      Delete
  5. I read (and loved) Stir ... and of course Unexpected Sisters because I preorder everything A-McC-S writes and it is always like Christmas when those books show up on my Kindle!! The others you mention are new to me and I am going to look for all of them for at least my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I preorder his books, too, and also have them on the kindle, but there's a part of me that wants to build brand new shelves and get every one of this series in paperback. I love the covers and I love the insides! I probably will never do it, but I like thinking about it.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading your responses to this and will do mine in the coming days. I'm going to look for Stir since so many people have read and loved it. I also want to read The Song of Hartgrove Hall. I'm currently reading her other book, The House at Tyneford! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the Tyneford book after I read The Song of Hartgrove Hall. I just loved everything about it.

      Delete
    2. I'm almost finished with The House at Tyneford and I love everything about it, too. I really can't wait to read The Song of Hartgrove Hall, so I'm ordering a copy today. Such wonderful, descriptive writing and a lovely old-fashioned story. Perfect.

      Delete
  7. I'm getting some great recommendations from these types of posts. One standout series of books I've been reading is the Flavia de Luce mystery series by Alan Bradley (first book is The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the first one. I was sure I would love it, but didn't.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.