Saturday, May 27, 2017

An Afternoon with Hazel Nina - May 26, 2017

It has been over a year since I've posted about an afternoon with Hazel Nina. The months and years are flying by. I keep meaning to post, but just don't have the time or energy sometimes! None of these photos is particularly great, but I took them to show her mummy what she did during the day. Margaret called the texts a "picture book of the day."

Turkey watching


This is really blurry, but she was just so cute. She had to have "tea with Pop." They had Earl Grey, and then she and I had chamomile.


Making popcorn. I used Arrowhead Mills organic popcorn, and made it right on the stove in a big pot.



Hazel said it was "the best popcorn ever!"


Then we watched the most wonderful children's show I've ever seen. It is called Emma and Grandpa. It goes through an entire year, month by month as a little girl and her grandfather explore the beautiful English countryside. We had a video of it when the kids were little, and a few years ago I went looking around the internet, and found a place I could buy a DVD. The new one is so much better because it is narrated by someone with an English accent. My video was narrated by Shelley Winters. Why? I can't imagine who thought that was a good idea for a movie about a little English girl and her grandfather! There is an interview with the grown up little girl all these years later. You may read more here, if interested.


She got a little sleepy so we thought we'd take a ride, knowing she would fall asleep, and she did. We got back as Matthew was coming home from work, and he brought his sleeping girl inside. I'll really try and write more often about our afternoons with all the grandkids. They are growing and changing so fast.

14 comments:

  1. She is a precious, precious girl! And I love being able to see the pictures and know what the actual setting looks like. So, so happy that we got to visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed sending the day with you and Hazel Nina and her grandfather. Please do it again.
    PS ... your lilac bush is beautiful and so healthy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't grandchildren a wonderful joy! I had a wonderful relationship with my mother's parents who lived quite near us, and am trying to have good relationships with my grandchildren, too....It helps that they live quite near. Hazel Nina is so dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nan, I think, these are very nice photographs of wonderful moments with your lovely granddaughter. I'd love to be a granddad someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun. This is like a diary of her days. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much understand you being puzzled at the video being narrated by someone with an American accent. I think that those who produce such things must think that we Americans can't understand English with an English accent! They did the same with Thomas the Tank when our son was little, we loved the voice of Ringo Starr but they had to change it. I think Ringo wanted to stop doing it but hey, they could have gotten someone else with a British accent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A picture book of the day, that's right! And so good that we have the means at hand now to create such beautiful memories to come back to, what with digital cameras and the internet.
    I don't know the children's show you mention, but it sounds like something I would enjoy - no matter at what age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all sounds so lovely (but I know how tired you must be after your days... trying to figure back to how old (young really compared to now) that I was when our older grandkids were little ...I was still working so under 60..... we'd have them for the occasional weekend, one at a time for fun usually unless an emergency. What I mostly remember is that I didn't get one single other thing done except to play with the kids. And I wondered how I managed to raise four kids and still keep house and read books etc etc.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this, Nan. Hazel Nina is getting SO big. Time is just flying by. I remember when you first began writing about your granddaughter, she was a teeny tiny little thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post. And given the premise of Emma and Grandpa, I wish it were a movie for all audiences, not only for kids :) Maybe I could try introducing it to my youngest niece...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hazel Nina is so beautiful, Nan! It looks and sounds like a perfect day with her and on her recommendation I am going to look for Arrowhead Mills popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely to see your days with Hazel Nina. That late afternoon nap is tricky isn't it? We find it makes bedtime pretty late.
    I'm going to look for that DVD. I hadn't heard of it so many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These posts are so fun to read and will be wonderful for Hazel Nina to discover when she's older. She is getting so tall and looking more and more like her mama every day. Thanks for sharing these special moments with us, Nan!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.