Saturday, July 23, 2016

Loi Couscoussaki

This was new on my local co-op's shelf this week.


And because I always try any new-to-me pasta that I see, I bought some. We had it last night with the pesto recipe I posted recently. It was so good that I hated to see the meal end!


It has a different taste from both regular couscous, and Israeli couscous. I didn't happen to have any of the latter at home, but I do have some regular couscous - on left, so you can see the difference between them.


You may find out more about Israeli couscous here. I like it, too, but this Greek couscous is my favorite! I love the texture and the taste. The Greek couscous took a few minutes to cook, while you barely have to cook regular couscous. Last fall I posted a Couscous Tabouli recipe here

You may read more about the Loi company here. They offer several different varieties, and I plan to try them all.


Please do visit Weekend Cooking for lots more food related postings. 

16 comments:

  1. Fascinating to learn that Greek pasta is different from others. Do you know if it's a different type of flour, or different process?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know for sure. I think it is all semolina, but the cut is different.

      Delete
  2. This comment belongs with your last post. Sometimes pesto is a bit much for young palates. I used to make one using broccoli subbing for most of the basil when my kids were little, it made a much less intense basil/garlic flavor, was very pleasant, very healthy...and just as flexible as regular pesto...just thought you might be interested:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great idea, and I will pass it along to my daughter. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. I would like to try this - I don't like normal couscous much. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has quite a different flavor. I like them all, but this Greek version is special.

      Delete
  4. I love Israeli couscous quite a bit but the couscousaki sounds even better! I'll have to see if I can find pasta from this company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. I like regular couscous and love Israeli but never had Greek. I'll have to look for it at the store. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I think you'll like it!

      Delete
  6. I've never seen thiis. We love couscous here, especially the pearled variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite special. Hope you can find it. I read it is at Whole Foods.

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious. I will have to check this out. I love pasta I just do not eat a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat it probably twice or three times a week. I think you will like this couscous.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sad to admit that we've only had couscous once! I should make it again and I like the idea of a little larger grain as I think the texture would work better for the littles. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear if they like it!

      Delete

I am really going to try and respond to your comments as soon as they come in! Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.