Saturday, August 29, 2015

Product placement/chocolate hazelnut spread

When you read the subject line you may have thought, Nutella. That product is the most famous, and is probably the first way people taste a chocolate hazelnut spread. It is fine tasting, but it contains an artificial vanilla flavoring. Here is the list of ingredients:
Sugar, vegetable oil, hazelnuts (13%), cocoa powder (7.4%), non-fat milk solids, emulsifier (soy lecithin), flavor (vanillin)

For all of my adult eating life, I have tried to avoid artificial colors and flavors. Because I like the taste of Nutella, I went searching for an alternative, and have now tried three different companies. Each of them is out-of-this-world delicious with much better ingredients. Yes, they cost more, but so do the organic vegetables and fruits I choose to buy. I would rather spend money on my health than have many pairs of shoes. 





The one I have settled on as my very favorite is Barefoot and Chocolate

Ingredients: organic cane sugar, hazelnuts, certified sustainable palm fruit oil, organic cocoa powder, organic sunflower oil, organic skimmed milk powder, sunflower lecithin, organic vanilla. 

I keep it out on the counter and have a couple spoonfuls a day. Makes me happy and tastes delicious.


As well as being a 'product placement,' I think I'll offer this as a Weekend Cooking posting. If you aren't familiar with this weekly series, you really should go visit if you are at all interested in food!

19 comments:

  1. I love the name Barefoot & Chocolate! I also love the ingredients. I'm going to see if they sell it in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if they don't, you may buy it from amazon. I do!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't thought to check the ingredients, I assumed (always wrong to do that) the main ingredient was nuts in Nutella. I'll look out for more natural ingredients in the future.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must look out for better Nutella substitutes u- thanks. Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, is that your photo of the chocolate spread on the spoon? You should be a food stylist, Nan, that looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aren't you so sweet! yes, it was my picture. my sweet little iphone takes great photos.

      Delete
  5. Being German, of course I sort of grew up on Nutella - it is THE breakfast ingredient over here, and has been for 40 years or more. But I've stopped eating it a long time ago, because my breakfast usually consists of muesli. When my parents have an abundance of berries (raspberries, blackcurrants, strawberries, redcurrants, gooseberries...), I love putting a handful on my muesli.
    Still, I do love the taste of chocolate / hazelnut spreads and have tried a few different ones over the years. It just is not a regular feature of my diet anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my granddaughter loves it on a graham cracker with peanut butter. messy but delish!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this! I'm with you -- I like to track down products with real ingredients. I had no idea that there were better chocolate hazelnut alternatives. I'll have to check out my local stores to see if I can get it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if your local stores don't have any of them, amazon does.

      Delete
  7. I'm smacking my lips all over this post and licking my screen. Will have to try some of these alternate Nutella brands. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right--my first thought was nutella!! We've never taken to eating nutella at home but I did buy it once for a recipe and it's still sitting unopened in my pantry. I guess I've just never discovered the magic! ;) I do LOVE the idea of chocolate and hazelnut, though...

    Sweet picture of a sweet pup in your header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know that I have never tried Nutella! Every so often, Rod and I pass it in the store and think about getting it, but then I decided not to simply because I don't want to find another sweet to which we become addicted. ;) Bunny Tracks ice cream is my limit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just skip N. and go right to B&C! Plus it is good for you! I'm not an ice cream girl at all.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.