Monday, September 1, 2014

A Year of Afternoon Gardens - September

The other day I told my sister-in-law that my iPhone camera is the best camera I've ever had (and she feels the same way), including the expensive one Tom gave me for my 60th birthday. It was not entirely satisfactory, and I wrote about giving it up and getting another one here. In a while, that one also stopped working well, and I got yet another camera, a Canon, which seemed pretty good. But I love my phone camera so much that I never use the 'real' camera anymore. However, I did decide in January to use it for my afternoon garden photos. I think they came out alright, until today. The sunlight is at a different angle and the house looked glary and garish. I took many pictures, trying for a good view with the same result. So I thought I'd try the iPhone. And what a difference! In addition to the quality of the photographs, I love the way I can snap picture after picture without pause.

September's garden with the Canon camera


And with the iPhone camera


Tom used the brush cutter today to clean up the flower gardens. And now comes the raking. I think I'll wait till spring to divide the day lilies, as I did this year. Before the cutting I harvested some catnip for the kitties. Raya had to have some every time I walked in with a new batch.


Other than rhubarb and chives, this catnip is the only thing we harvested this year. I haven't missed the vegetable garden. I've found everything I needed at my local Co-op store, and didn't even visit any farmers' markets. The other day I stood in the middle of all the local produce and just marveled that this bounty was available. I wrote about our decision to give up the veg garden in May.

12 comments:

  1. It is funny that you gave up your garden just when I decided to grow a few things myself. I have enjoyed my tiny garden. I have a new smart phone too. I haven't fallen in love with it yet. A lot to learn about it. I can just imagine how excited your cat was when you brought in the bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my phone only for talking, texting, and photos. Nothing else.

      Delete
  2. For our old family cat (long gone), it was a special treat when we let him have a peppermint teabag to play with. He would chew on it, lick it, drag it across the (tiled) kitchen floor and have hours of fun with it. So I can imagine the catnip being very welcome with your cats!

    The pictures really are different, although I guess you could have achieved the same beautiful golden hue on the first picture by using irfanview once the picture was on your computer. But of course that would have meant an extra step, which is not necessary with your smartphone camera.
    My iphone is still the first one, bought in 2009. Its camera isn't very good, and I much prefer the "real" camera - several years old, but I am familiar enough with it to feel comfortable with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have improved the camera a lot since the first one. I love this one.

      Delete
  3. I adore my iPhone camera capabilities as well, and my DH wonders why I never use my expensive one. Who wants to lug that around when this one travels in my pocket all the time. Can't wait to see the new one very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a year or more on my contract before I can get the new phone!

      Delete
  4. I'm due for a new phone and I am having the most difficult time deciding between another Samsung or switching to an iPhone. The camera is a huge factor. I love my Samsung, but it's old and starting to give me trouble. I rarely ever use my "real" camera (an Olympus) anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I need to learn to use my i phone camera feature better. It would lighten my purse (fanny pack) if I only had to carry it instead of it and my point and shoot.

    Will catch up eventually -- still traveling. Your garden is wonderful; I am glad you don't have to do veg gardening any more -- leaving you more time to play grandma.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.