Sunday, March 23, 2014

Product placement/towels

After we ate at the Mexican restaurant on St. Patrick’s Day, the four of us went shopping at BJs and then at Walmart. At the latter, I was amazed to find some towels that were made in the US. I stopped in my tracks and happily read the labels. 




And bought two towels. 


This is not your old-fashioned American textile manufacturer. It is a modern, truly global company. There aren’t whole towns all over the south making the towels of my childhood. But there are 200 Americans employed in the manufacture of these towels. You may read more at the site.

I’m not naive enough to believe that the American south will ever again make the towels of yesteryear. All the world is connected now. But it makes me feel good to know that within this giant company, there are 200 folks in Georgia doing the work that Rick Bragg’s family did.

12 comments:

  1. I will look for these towels next time I'm shopping for some, Nan, and appreciated your updated version of your Rick Bragg review.
    We just this week watched a PBS show on Sting's new musical/play, When the Last Ship Sails, which deals with the shipping industry in the north of England and how much the locals depended on shipbuilding for their livelihoods. He's taking it to Broadway, so, this was a bit of prequel. At any rate, it reminds me, again, of how such things as the textile industry of the south was such a large part of who people were.

    It was nice spending some time catching up with your posts this Sunday after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an accidental update, as I posted! Very interesting about the Sting work.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this place. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either. If you go to the site you can see where they are sold.

      Delete
  3. Interesting about the towels - thanks for sharing. A lot of the shipbuilding left England for other parts of the world when the unions constantly put workers on strike. Customers got fed up with the delays. Whole towns disappeared - very sad.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sort of sad that this news surprises me... But it does make me want to buy a new set of towels to support the USA ! :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more and more things being made here, but I find a lot of them are for an upscale market. Nice to see walmart selling these towels.

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for posting this! I, too, will be looking for some of those towels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased with the texture and how absorbent they are.

      Delete
  6. I came by the other day and forgot to leave a comment, because I followed the link right away. As it turns out, these are available in our area, and a friend who was looking for something to give as a shower gift to a young woman who's really into "buy American" is absolutely delighted to know about these. We both thank you for posting this. The last thing I need is more towels, but if I ever do need to purchase some, this is where I'll go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I always wonder if anyone goes to links. :<) That's a great story about the girl's shower. Love it.

      Delete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.