Thursday, December 15, 2011

South Asian Challenge 2012


I am going to join the South Asian Challenge for next year. You may learn more about it, and sign up here.


There are two ways for a book to qualify for the South Asian Challenge:

(1) A book must be by a South Asian author. For these purposes, South Asia includes the following countries: India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, and the Maldives. There are no limitations on what the book can be about.

(2) A book must be about South Asia or South Asians. In this case, it can be set in a South Asian country or be about South Asians living abroad. It can also be a biography or memoir of a South Asian, or of a non-South Asian traveling or working in South Asia. In this case, the author does not need to be South Asian, as long as the subject matter focuses on the region, peoples, or cultures in some way.

What dates does the challenge run?

January 1, 2012 through December 31, 2012

How many books should I read for the challenge?

This is up to you! If you’ve never read about the region, you may only want to read one or two books. If you’re very familiar with the literature or you read quickly, your goal may be higher. All I ask is that you state your goal in your sign-up post or comment; you can feel free to change it over the course of the year.
These are the books I hope to read:

1. The Art of Disappearance by Anita Desai - fiction - finished March 29
2. Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh - fiction
3. Women of the Raj by Margaret MacMillan - nonfiction
4. Radio Shangri-La by Lisa Napoli - nonfiction
5. The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje - fiction
6. The Many Conditions of Love by Farahad Zama - fiction

7 comments:

  1. I want to read Sea of Poppies as well. And some Ondaatje, but I count him as Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for writing about this reading challenge. I am currently trying to read the longlist of the Man Asian Literary Prize, along with four other bloggers from Australia and the UK. Seven of the longlisted books qualify for this read, and I see you have already picked your books, but if other readers would like to get some ideas about what to read, check out this page with a list of the longlisted books and links to our reviews so far.

    Man Asian Literary Prize Shadow Jury

    Note that Amitav Ghosh's sequel to the book you've chosen is on the longlist. - Fay

    ReplyDelete
  3. And he counts here because he was born in Sri Lanka, raider girl! I just read he went to the same school, Dulwich, as my beloved PG Wodehouse. I've read only The English Patient, and that was a long time ago. I look forward to this book.

    Read Ramble, I'd like to think I may read even more as I get going! If not this year, then next. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I*'m going to try this one, too but not as many book as you!

    I've been following the posts of the Shadow Man Asian Prize and have found some I'd really like to try but I'm not sure I'll get to them in 2012 - that list is pretty heavily populated with Canadian literature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I happened to own four of them and just bought two I really wanted to read. That's how I ended up with six. I really look forward to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you are joining in! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swapna, I am so looking forward to these books!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.