Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Teaser Tuesdays/Henrietta's War


Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:


Grab your current read.
Open to a random page.
Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.
BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!).
Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!


To set the stage: in England during the Second World War, an older woman must sell her house. She cannot afford the upkeep; her gardener is retiring and she can't get another one; and she can't do the work herself.

'The secret of happiness is to adopt this attitude towards possessions,' she said - and she made a pushing-away gesture with her hands - 'rather than this,' and she pulled an imaginary treasure to her bosom. 'Once you can drop the grabbing habit everything is plain sailing. ...'

p. 130, Henrietta's War by Joyce Dennys
We read this everywhere nowadays, but these words were written in the 1940s!

16 comments:

  1. Mmm...it's a great philosophy, if you can force yourself to give things up. Moving does the 'work' of making the decision...but a whole house? That's pretty drastic! Good teaser!

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty good at it, Celi.a. I'm not a hoarder or a keeper unless I really love something or it has a special meaning. I may not have explained well enough - the woman has to give up a lot of her stuff because she must move out of her big house into a small place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely idea. Though if we were talking about books or yarn I would struggle. I have this book and I really must get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fleur, the book is just wonderful. I've loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a copy of this book sitting right next to me waiting for me to finish the book I am currently reading (an Enola Holmes mystery) so I can start it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanette, you know how much I love that series! Are you on the latest one right now? I'm quite sure you will love H's War. I sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic teaser, now I want to read the book. My teaser is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/10/casting-off-teaser-tuesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer, I'll be over soon to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good piece of advice to me. Something I need to work on a bit.

    Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great teaser, Nan. I always get in the mood to do a little spring-cleaning in the fall! I was just thinking about cleaning out my basement this weekend.

    I love your new header!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved that book, I won it on another blog, very chuffed about that. Sent it to daughter, she loved it, friend of daughter now loves it. Isn't that delightful?
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, Henrietta's War and brownies ... what a delicious combination

    here's my teaser

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nan, the leafy photo is lovely- the brownies as well!!
    This teaser has done the trick for me, it will go on my book list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, Gautami, Wendi and Janice, I'll be over to your blogs to read your teasers. Thanks for writing.

    Les, thanks about the header. The colors are so beautiful now. I think cleaning makes much more sense in the fall - it is cooler, and the need to be outdoors in the garden isn't there like in the spring.

    Carole, I won it from Elaine, too. :<)

    Thank you, Rattling On. And you will love the book, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.