Sunday, July 26, 2009

Persephone Reading Week Challenge


I've just joined the Persephone Reading Week Challenge. You may read more about it and join this fun challenge here.

We would love for you to join us for a week of reading, blogging, and celebrating the wonderful, grey books. The challenge rules are relaxed and informal: on the week we have chosen enjoy Persephone Books, one Persephone or ten. I don't think it matters as long as you enjoy yourself and the independent publishing house who publish forgotten or neglected books (mainly by women). If you are only able to manage to read one of their books that week then that's great and if you don't have any Persephone books, or perhaps have never heard of them, then come read our blogs that week and discover some truly lovely books or, better yet, indulge in a copy now so you fully experience the challenge. We will be making a number of Persephone-orientated posts, not just reviews, and will host prize draws for books and related items to add to your Persephone collection or to start it off!

I happen to have two new Persephone Books on my shelf, and plan to read as much as I can of one or both during that week. The titles are Cheerful Weather for the Wedding by Julia Strachey and A Fortnight in September by R.C. Sherriff.

5 comments:

  1. I remember getting their catalog once and it was just so lovely. I think I will try to get another one and order a book. Their venture is worth supporting!!! Look forward to checking out the blogs related to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a lot of fun. I thought about participating but I have a couple of other challenges to finish up. I will be following along though. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, the books are also available at book depository with free shipping. You don't get the lovely bookmarks though. I love the Persephone catalogue, and I love the company.

    Book Psmith, this is my only challenge, so I thought I could do it. I can't wait to read everyone's reviews to help me choose my next P. purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have already signed up for the challenge and am looking forward to getting at least one of my unread Persephones read.

    Fortnight in September is absolutely lovely - you will enjoy it. As is the case with a lot of Persephones there isn't a huge amount of plot but it's a real heartwarmer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, now I am looking forward to reading it even more. I'll be eager to read your Persephone week postings.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.