Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Another summer; another garlic and shallot harvest

Last year, and the year before, we harvested the garlic and shallots at just about this same time. Why do we always remember it being later in the summer? Anyhow, I went out today when the sun was high (mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun - my English soul) and pulled the plants. After all these years of gardening, it still feels like a miracle to me.

There were only 27 (34 in 2007 and 48 in 2008) garlic bulbs this year but many more shallots. Not all of the latter are big, but still we'll use them. I think we planted both too close together. This was the second raised bed we planted three months and two days ago and it seemed right to put the two together. For next year we may order more garlic, and have two separate beds - one for garlic, the other for shallots. I cleaned it up today, and we'll plant lettuce in there for the rest of the season.

garlic
shallots

11 comments:

  1. They look yummy even when they're dirty!!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to eat the garlic while it is fresh. I have to be very disciplined about saving some to dry for later in the year. Have you tried smoking the bulbs? I haven't done it myself but I know of people who have used tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm, I love summer gardens. Reap what you sou. It is always so rewarding and just gives you a darn good feeling doesn't it! Great pics of your garden and lawns! It looks so peaceful where you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. It means so much to me that you stop in and leave me a little 'note.' The garlic and shallots are drying on the table and chairs because they have holes in them for the air to circulate. I do eat it fresh and I eat it dried. (not smoked though) A heavenly food. It is very peaceful on this farm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara, all those shallots waiting to be mixed with your potatoes. :<) Last time, I used baked instead of mashed - just sauteed the shallots a long time and mixed them in. Great! You can't go wrong really with two such great foods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Nan. If you think those are little shallots, I'm glad you can't see mine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. June, there are a lot that aren't as big as the ones in the picture. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent harvest! I use shallots quite a lot. Funny, a few years ago, I had no idea what they were. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.