Friday, December 21, 2007

Quote du jour/Gladys Taber

To make a home beautiful, to create a good family life, seems to me a job as important and dignified as any, and there is no reason why pushing a vacuum is incompatible with thinking about Plato or Aristotle or Parker's Aesthetics.
Gladys Taber, Stillmeadow Seasons

While I don't believe I have ever, ever thought about those fine fellows while I vacuum my house, I do find it a time when I think about my home and my life. Today's ruminations were these.

I am living a pretty simple life. We don't have a lot of extras. Our furniture is frayed and worn and comfortable. As I've already noted, I'm not buying books (except for a couple). We don't go out to eat much. But, I am a huge fan of presents. I grew up with lots under the tree, as did our children. Well, those same kids are now in their twenties, and I want them to have gifts that are meaningful; gifts they can use throughout the year, not just open and put aside on the twenty-fifth. Our family is smaller this year due to my daughter's divorce (a good thing for both of them), and it has seemed like the right time to simplify my gift buying, and really "walk my talk." I have bought fewer, and, I hope, better gifts. Most of the presents are intangibles like gift certificates, and a snowboarding pass already given to my son. There is little clothing, since they both like to choose their own and sizes are always tricky. What I did get can be easily exchanged. For my daughter who loves to read, there is the annual bag o' books. They will find the various winter necessities, like Smart Wool socks, and fleece neck warmers. There are some dvds that Santa will put in the stockings. All in all, I am quite satisfied, quite content with my purchases. There are fewer presents under the tree, but I believe they are good quality gifts that will be appreciated in the new year as well as on Christmas Day. And my shopping took only three afternoons.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE the writtings of Gladys Taber!! I read her books over adn over!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can very much identify with these thoughts - here on your very thoughtful and inspiring blog.

    I am stopping by to say how very much our house rings with the sound of the celtic harp these days ... we love the cd. Thank you for your sweet and much appreciated gift.

    Merry, Merry Christmas to you and your family, Nan. Peace and Blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved today's post, Nan. It exemplifies the true meaning of this season. And the quote -- well, I'll print it out and place it at my daughter's breakfast tomorrow morning. Now that she's a lofty college student, Aristotle seems more important than housework! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that quote from Gladys Taber (Ihave tried to find her book over here, but our library doesn't list it - I think I'll see if the inter-library loan can find her).

    When I vacuum I can't say I think about Plato, but I often think about my mum and life as it used to be. She died when my son was two (he's 35 now)and I still miss her.

    Thank you for all your blog entries this year. I look forward to reading your posts so much. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan, this is such a lovely post. It sums up my feelings about gifts this year. I am beginning to lean more toward much less is more Christmas. Most of our nieces and nephews are getting well into the teen years and we just do not "need" much of anything. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your plan is excellent and will be much appreciated. I feel the same way about buying gifts. I appreciate your blog, your companionship and support this past year. Have a happy holiday with your family!

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.