Saturday, August 4, 2007

Grinch no more

For almost three months now, ever since dear Tara tagged me for a meme and I respectfully (I hope) said no, thank you, I've felt like a Grinch. I don't know why I didn't just do it. Maybe it felt like drawing too much attention to myself? But I kept thinking about it, and feeling badly that I didn't participate so I decided I'd make a list.

8 Things About Me

The rules -

1. Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2. People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3. At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment and tell them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.


I'm not going to tag anyone specifically, but if you would like to make your own list, please consider yourself "tagged."

Here I go with 8 really random things about me.

1. I've been a vegetarian since 1971. I do eat eggs and milk.

2. I've never dyed my hair or plucked my eyebrows.

3. Most of my friends, both offline and online, are younger than I am. Some by ten years or more. As I think back, my mother was older than most of her friends, too.

4. I grew up and stayed in the same town until I went to college (3 hours away); moved back to the house when my mother died (my father had died five years earlier - almost to the day); lived there for eight years; and then moved to this farm, not nine miles away. I love living in the same area where I grew up. The only other places I've longed to live are England and Prince Edward Island, Canada.

5. My "salad" always consists of lettuce, period. No dressing, nothing else.

6. I'm really honest. I'd be the person who'd walk back to a store if they gave me too much in change. :<)

7. You know that part in the movie, Terms of Endearment (which I couldn't finish because it was so sad) where Debra Winger is asked what she does and she says she has never had a job? Well, that's me. I had summer jobs in high school, but that's it. I know, this is incredibly startling and amazing, but true, nonetheless. I've never had that particular ambition, and luckily we've had enough money to get along so I didn't have to. I love being "at home."

8. I'm never bored.

9. (extra credit) Tom and I have been together since 1966.

3 comments:

  1. Nan, I love learning all this about you but didn't mean to guilt you into it! I can certainly understand why some people choose not to participate in memes or challenges, so I didn't blame you one little bit.

    I have never dyed my hair either, but I do pluck my eyebrows. I do work part time and with my starting starting kindergarden in one month (gulp!) I've been asked a lot lately when I'll be returning to work full-time. Ummm--Never, I say! I love being at home, and like you I am never bored, I really do not understand the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't at all, Tara! That was inside me. :<)

    I'm thinking about you these days as you look ahead to school days. I found that once both of mine were in school, people asked me the same thing. But I used that "extra" time doing all the things I couldn't get done when they were little. And I volunteered in their classrooms, Tom and I had a Cub Scout troup, I co-led a Brownie troup for a year, and then the sports and music events came along, and I was on the go all the time. Wonderful, full days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to meet someone else who has never worked outside the home. Me too! Brought my daughters up and, like you, we could manage without the extra money so I never went out to work. I'm never bored at home, always lots to do and so many books to read. And now we look after our nine month old grandson two days a week too. 'Boredom'? What's that?

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.