Friday, May 4, 2007

Today's cd/People Gonna Talk


James Hunter/People Gonna Talk/2006

Ten years ago, I kept a little notebook next to the computer in which I wrote down interesting music or books I read about online. On the third page of that notebook I noted something I read on the Van Morrison email list:

James Hunter
Sam Cooke feeling
50s R&B

And a few pages on, I wrote

James Hunter - someone on Van list likes, and wanted Believe What I Say

Well, his name stayed in my head, and when last year the big news came out that finally a James Hunter cd was to be released over here, I bought it as soon as I could. And what a great, great album it is. The music is pure and spare. No frills. It is also joyful and exuberant. It would go with me on that proverbial desert island. This is wonderful sing-a-long, dance-a-long music. You may hear samples of all the songs on his website.

I was lucky enough last summer to see him perform at a free outdoor concert in Burlington, Vermont. If you live anywhere near where he'll be coming in 2007, I'd say get some tickets and have yourself a great evening of music. The schedule is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.