Sunday, April 29, 2007

Quote du jour/Kenneth Grahame

When the girl returned, some hours later, she carried a tray, with a cup of fragrant tea steaming on it; and a plate piled up with very hot buttered toast, cut thick, very brown on both sides, with the butter running through the holes in it in great golden drops, like honey from the honeycomb. The smell of that buttered toast simply talked to Toad, and with no uncertain voice; talked of warm kitchens, of breakfasts on bright frosty mornings, of cosy parlour firesides on winter evenings, when one's ramble was over and slippered feet were propped on the fender, of the purring of contented cats, and the twitter of sleepy canaries.
The Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame


This is my new toasting center compliments of Target. The toaster is the second generation Michael Graves toaster. I bought the first one years ago. I've had a couple others since, but wasn't happy with them. This is great. The toast pops up far enough so I don't need toast tongs to take it out. I love toast. I think that it is probably my favorite food, and I eat it all times of the day, not just at breakfast. I love these words from Wind In The Willows.

5 comments:

  1. Nan, that is absolutely my favorite quote about toast. I never tire of reading it and, without fail, it always makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan, I like your toasting center and especially the quote :) Toast is one of my favorite foods, and one of the most comforting. There's nothing quite like the aroma of the bread toasting, and then slathering it with butter. I just had some this evening for a snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a huge Wind in the Willows fan Nan! I love seeing you use a quote from it and knew before I read the first sentence where you took it from. "Oh, Toooaaaddddd". :-)

    I love your new toaster. It has a 'retro' look to it. I have a plain ugly one but it works well. I would love to get a stainless steel one when this one dies on me. Mine is very old (about 15+ years now) and is showing no signs of ending its life yet. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply adore that quote. I can taste the warm bread with butter dripping (and some cinnamon sugar sprinkled all over!). Pure bliss. I need to make that english muffin bread SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore toast as well. There is something simple and comforting about it, and it is what I crave when I'm feeling just a bit under the weather.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.