Friday, January 5, 2007

Literary characters as friends

Janet over at Joyful Jottings: http://joyfuljottings-janet.blogspot.com/

made a list of literary characters she'd like as friends for her Thursday Thirteen offering yesterday. I'm hoping a lot of people will follow her example and post their own lists. I'm not going to wait till next Thursday. I'll call mine Friday favorites.

These are not in any particular order.

1. Beth in Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

2. Emily Pollifax in the Mrs. Pollifax series by Dorothy Gilman

3. Horace Rumpole in the Rumpole series by John Mortimer

4. Bertie Wooster in the Jeeves and Wooster books by P.G. Wodehouse

5. Archie Goodwin in Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries

6. Mrs. Dalloway in the book of the same name by Virginia Woolf

7. Mrs. Miniver in the book of the same name by Jan Struther

8. Venetia in Hens Dancing, and Summertime by Raffaela Barker

9. Isabel Dalhousie in the Sunday Philosophy Club series by Alexander McCall Smith

10. Mma Ramotswe in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith

11. Dave in Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe stories

12. Morley in Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe stories

13. Rob Fleming in High Fidelity by Nick Hornby

7 comments:

  1. Nan,

    Some of these I think I could have predicted!!! I thought about Little Women but I thought I'd include Jo. I also thought about Mme Ramostswe. She is so strong and sure of herself.

    I have never read Mrs. Miniver; is it like the movie?

    Thanks for the PR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm faithful to my book friends just as I am to my real friends!

    I know that most everyone likes Jo in LW, but Beth has always been my favorite. I admire her patience, her unselfishness, her faith, her gentleness.

    I believe the film of Mrs. M. is not like the book. The latter is a wonderful collection of writings on daily home life. I loved it and her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel quite illiterate, or at least ill-read, at the moment, as I'm not sure I could come up with 13 characters from books to have as friends. I need to do more reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I'll bet you could come up with 13 gardeners! Let's see, Katharine White, Henry Mitchell, Beverley Nichols, Elizabeth Lawrence, on and on. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think I could come up with 13 gardeners that I'd like to visit with. Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I read down the list I immediately thought of Mme Ramotswe! I love her so!!!!

    Also, I love your blog! I just added a link to it on my blog! hope that is okay!

    And, I got the Pink Martini CD that you had on your blog!!! I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is such a wonderful character. And I'm tickled you added me to your blog. You're on my list of favorite blogs, too.:<)

    I've been so pleased with the response to Pink Martini. Great, fun music.

    ReplyDelete

I'll answer your comments as soon as I possibly can. Please do come back if you've asked a question.
Also, you may comment on any post, no matter how old, and I will see it.